top of page


Updated: Jun 19, 2020

1. Safety First. You will have to decide whether to move your vehicle. If you don’t believe you can safely operate your vehicle, then leave it where it is and get yourself to safety. If your vehicle is causing a potential hazard and you can safely operate it, find a safe place to take photographs of its location – preferably from multiple angles – before moving it to the shoulder or otherwise off of the road.

2. Call or *HP (*47) or 911. If you’re on a highway, dial *HP for a State Trooper. For all other roadways, dial 911. Inform the operator of your location and the injuries.

3. Exchange Required Information with the Other Driver. Section 32-10-2 of the Code of Alabama requires the exchange of names, addresses, registration numbers of the vehicles and the presentation of driver license upon request.

4. Document the Accident. If you’re able, gather the following additional information:

  • The other driver’s phone number

  • Witness contact information

  • Photos of damage and injuries

  • Accident report number and the officer’s/trooper’s name, badge number and phone number (this information will likely be included on a card the officer provides with the report number)

  • Create a written or audio narrative of what happened to cause the collision; note the road conditions, estimated speeds, time, statements of the other driver

5. Seek Necessary Medical Treatment Immediately. If you’re injured and need medical attention, do not delay in getting treatment. “Toughing it out” can potentially decrease the value of your injury claim, as a delay in treatment can raise questions as to whether the treatment was accident-related. Commonly, accident victims fail to notice injuries until well after the collision due to the nature of the injury and/or the shock of the collision. In such cases, it is important to seek treatment immediately upon discovery and document when you first noticed the injury.

6. Notify the Insurance Companies. Your insurance card will likely have the contact information to report the accident. Ideally, you will have obtained the other driver’s insurance information at the scene so that you can also report the accident to his/her insurance company. If not, you can get the other driver’s insurance information from the accident report when it’s available. An attorney may assist you with this process.

7. Consult with an Attorney. Our office offers free consultations for people injured in accidents caused by other drivers. If we decide to accept your case, you would first receive a proposed contract so you can make an informed decision about hiring an attorney. The contract would clearly show our contingency attorney fee (the percent we receive if we successfully resolve your claim). You can start the process with a phone call to 205-345-0090, email to or by using the chat feature on our website. You’ll need to provide the attorney with a copy of the accident report, your health insurance cards, your driver license and your insurance policy declarations (the coverage amounts).

8. Keep a Journal. Injury claims can take months or years to resolve, so it is a good idea to keep a journal to document your experience. You may have to give a statement or testify about the collision, your injuries and your recovery – a journal can help you recall the details necessary to maximize the value of your claim.

[DISCLAIMER: No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. Further, the above is generic information for informal purposes only. It is NOT formal legal advice. Your use of this site does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with a licensed attorney before relying on any information found on this site. If you are currently represented by an attorney, you should strictly abide by his/her counsel.]

40 views0 comments
bottom of page